Friday, December 25, 2009

All Time Top 5 (Christmas Movies)


First and foremost, we at bip-bip. would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas (or the more politically correct, "happy holidays"). We hope everyone gets at least a couple days away from the daily grind and can spend some quality time with your family and friends. If you're like my family, Christmas Eve usually involves dinner, everyone getting to open one present (yes it's cheating, but I know we're far from being the only ones who do this), and a Christmas movie (thanks to my Grandma, it's usually It's A Wonderful Life).

Christmas, more so than any other holiday, has a plethora of great movies devoted to it. Think about it. Try and name your favorite Thanksgiving movie (for the record, I'd have to go Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and it's not even close). It's hard to even think of any. The same cannot be said for Christmas. The list just goes on an on. And it made narrowing down that list to just five incredibly difficult.

So, without further ado, here's the All Time Top 5 Christmas Movies:


5

Love Actually -- From Billy Mack's (Bill Nighy) "Christmas is All Around Us" to Joanna's (a.k.a. "the one," played by Olivia Olson) rendition of "All I Want for Christmas," this movie is loaded with Christmas spirit. I find it quite odd that it has somehow managed to be the first film to make its way to two top 5 lists (see the other here). And I even thought about leaving it off for just that reason. But, as the movie constantly reminds us, "at Christmas, you tell the truth" and any list of great Christmas movies without this gem on it would just seem like a lie.


4

It's A Wonderful Life -- As I mentioned above, this is a Christmas Eve favorite with my family, and for good reason. This 1946 classic is probably watched by more families during Christmas than any other out there, and it's been that way for a very long time. Watching goodhearted George Bailey learn just how good his life has been is a wonderful tale for the whole family. And the title is a message I find myself telling others quite often (just ask my fellow bip-bip. contributor). Let's all be glad it didn't end like this.


3

Home Alone -- Maybe it's just because I was part of the key demographic for this movie when it came out, but it always makes me think of sitting around with my brothers and cousins (when we were much younger) at my grandparents house watching Kevin outsmart the Wet Bandits while my mom and the rest of the "grown-ups" got Christmas dinner ready. Some might argue that this movie doesn't belong on the list, but when it comes to Christmas movies, this one belongs purely for nostalgia's sake.


2

Christmas Vacation -- Probably my favorite Chevy Chase (by the way, if you aren't watching it yet, his new show Community is actually pretty decent) movie of all time, Christmas Vacation is likely the first movie that most people think of when it comes to funny Christmas movies. Watching Uncle Eddie (Randy Quaid) and the gang invade the Griswold family Christmas is always a treat. And Clark taught us all what the standard in home decor for the holidays should be.


1

Elf -- I assume that this selection for the top spot will receive a good deal of criticism. No, it's not a timeless classic that families have been enjoying forever. But outside of that, what more could you want from a Christmas movie? Will Ferrell and company really outdid themselves with this brilliant Christmas comedy that I believe will eventually become a classic that gets the same respect as some of the other names on this list. Anyone who disagrees is just a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

No comments:

Post a Comment